Thursday, August 16, 2007

The Flat World and International Real Estate

The Flat World and International Real Estate

Ever since reading Thomas Friedman’s The World is Flat, the implications of globalization have had entirely new meanings. A short summary of the book is that because of advances in technology and attitudes, and because of events like the fall of the Berlin Wall, anyone can have and operated a multinational corporation from their bedroom.

The most exciting implication of this to me, is that the bedroom can be anywhere in the world. There may be a few deep valleys somewhere, where a satellite dish would not work and no other internet service is available; but for the most part any location will work for many businesses.

Some businesses of course are highly localized. These people lose the flexibility that globalization affords; but they also avoid much of the global competition. I really love real estate; because my local business has protection from globalization and increased demand from foreign buyers. My international business gives me personal portability. My hardest decision is “where do I want to be”. Where do you want to be?

No comments: