Monday, March 23, 2009

Ecuador from Ecuador

Ecuador from Ecuador
The economist, the 6:00 news and other sources of information would lead one to believe that the Ecuadorian economy is a basket case. I just came from there. Most of the economy that I witnessed is unofficial. The unofficial economy seems to have little relationship to the official economy. In Quito and Guayaquil I was told that the crime rate is high. I was warned about walking around after dark. (I did it anyway). I did see some people that I did not want to have a conversation with. I did not feel fear. I also did not see homeless people.
I did not see dirty people. The streets were reasonably clean in every city I visited. They were very clean in Cuenca and that city seemed relatively crime free. One can by a livable 90 M2 home (1000 sq ft. mol) for $50,000 in a a good neighborhood. One can buy what would cost $1,250,000 in Charlotte in a gated community for $300,000. Food is cheap, booze is cheap, clothes are cheap. I can see Ecuador as an ideal retirement destination for people who are not meeting their expectations in their retirement accounts.
On top of everything else the people are extremely civilized and friendly and family oriented. Many of them do not like their president. Someone must have voted for him.
David Segrest is a REALTOR in Charlotte NC. His website is http://www.segrestrealty.com His email is david@segrestrealty.com

No comments: