Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Dr. Nathan Booth

Dr. Nathan Booth

I met Dr. Booth in 1989 as we took our CIPS courses together. He made a huge impression on me then for his intelligence and his kind spirit and his willingness to share his vast knowledge. We finished the courses together. He became an instructor in the program immediately. It took me a little longer. As I learned to teach the courses he became one of my mentors. I was and am extremely grateful to him.

I acquired a great deal of wisdom and many ideas from Nathan; but one thought that I always teach in my classes is something that he taught me outside the class. I was having a horrible transaction, representing a client who was extremely greedy and dishonest. I mentioned this to Nathan and made the comment that I would never do business with anyone from that ethnic group again. Nathan’s response was, “When you have a problem with an individual of any ethnic group give the individual full credit, not the ethnic group. When something goes well give the whole ethnic group credit.” I have done a lot of business with people of the ethnic group that I was ready to reject since then, thanks to Nathan.

Nathan died on June 26. He will leave a hole in my heart; but my heart is larger thanks to him.

David Segrest is a REALTOR® in Charlotte NC. His website is http://www.segrestrealty.com His email is david@segrestrealty.com He is also a contributor on Argentina to: http://realestatebloginternational.com/

No comments: