Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Flat World & Telephones

The Flat World & Telephones
I know the last blog promised to share what I learned from my Korean students. The class president is sending me the notes that we made in class. I hope they will come soon.

Often we talk about how the new flat world gives the ability to operate a multinational company from wherever we are. That is of course if we are not using Verizon Wireless as our telephone provider. When I changed to Verizon they touted their great international network. When I went to Argentina, I had to rent a special phone. At the last minute when leaving the states I needed to forward my Verizon phone to the special phone. The forwarding did not work, I sat on hold with “customer service” for 40 minutes until the plane took off. At least I could call out from Argentina.

I was assured the telephone I have would work great in Korea. Always in the past I have had to rent a KTF phone at the airport in Seoul and put the chip from my phone into it. My Verizon phone did not work. I went a week with no phone. I have had to sign up for Vonage service so that I will at least have some connection when I travel. The problem with Vonage is it only works through the DSL connection on a laptop computer. That is not always available. Verizon also says that my phone will work in Bulgaria and Romania. I will let you know next month. I do not have much faith left in Verizon; but I do have another year of contract left.


David Segrest is a REALTOR in Charlotte NC. His website is http://www.segrestrealty.com His email is david@segrestrealty.com

No comments: