Saturday, April 12, 2008

What I Learned from My Korean Students.

What I Learned from My Korean Students

This is my 6th trip to S. Korea. I get surprised every time. Almost always the class has one or two graduate students. This time they make up almost half. It has been harder than usual to stimulate conversation. The universities here do not encourage student participation in the classes. One question finally got them going.

“How many of you believe the Korean Peninsula will be re-united within your lifetime?” The answer was unanimous. Everyone believes that. “What are the challenges and problems you foresee when this happens?” The answers were a perfect description of the problems and challenges that the Germans faced at their reunification. Today’s class was on Europe and that was the answer I was hoping for.

The point of this is not the answers they gave. It is that this is evidently a frequent topic of thought and discussion here. The S. Koreans are apprehensive about the economic costs and impacts of joining with the North. They are committed to helping their relatives and country men to have a better life. Incidentally no one knows the name of Kim Jong Il’s successor.

David Segrest is a REALTOR in Charlotte NC. His website is http://www.segrestrealty.com His email is david@segrestrealty.com

No comments: